Friday, March 20, 2020

Flattening the Curve

Beginning of March we started hearing more and more about the Coronavirus (Covid-19). It's a virus that hits the respiratory system pretty hard and can be particularly deadly to the elderly and those with autoimmune disorders. We had learned that it started in China in mid-December, hit the USA in January and now has become a pandemic.



Last week started out pretty normal, and then Wednesday things started getting a little weird. Facebook was filled with stories of people who were hoarding toilet paper and other things. Thursday, the Church announced that all meetings and activities would be canceled and we would be holding our own sacrament meetings at home. Scott's school closed a little early for Spring Break and he was told it would resume online afterward. Friday, I went grocery shopping many of the shelves were empty and bare. They were out of canned goods and pasta and toilet paper and so many things. It was surreal walking around the empty Walmart shelves. Kids had minimum day Friday, but we learned that they would be staying home for the next two weeks. Scott's football league also had to cancel games on Saturday. We were told to avoid groups of more than 10. Social distancing ourselves from everyone to help "flatten the curve".





Sunday we had church at home and because we live with family it was especially nice having two priesthood holders in our home to bless and pass the sacrament. We actually exceed the 10 or less people just in our house cuz there's 13 of us all together. :P We've watched Book of Mormon videos and messages from the prophet as part of our home sacrament meetings and it's been nice. We've felt the spirit and grown spiritually even while being stuck at home. :)

We started home-schooling Wednesday. The kid's teachers organized web sites and google classrooms with videos and links to their schoolwork and online education sites. It was a little complicated at first but I think we got the hang of it now. Our internet is super slow, especially with everyone in the house using it, so that's been rough. We're planning on upgrading our internet soon though so it should be better. :)



This time has been stressful and I've had my ups and downs. Times when the uncertainties, stress and anxiety got the better of me and I've broken down and just cried. But through this experience I've also recognized so many blessings that I'm grateful for. I'm grateful that Scott has still been able to work and go to school online. And I know he's not happy about it, but I'm grateful that without his football league work he has more time to help me at home with the kids. :) I'm grateful my kids like learning and school and I don't have to push them to do their schoolwork. I'm grateful we live with my parents and that my kids have cousins to play with that live just upstairs. And I'm grateful that because of technology, I've talked to and seen more of my family online during the past couple weeks than I would have if the whole world hadn't just stopped. And most of all, I'm grateful for the Gospel in my life right now, more than ever before. I'm grateful for my faith and the knowledge I've been given that brings such joy and peace to my life. I'm grateful for the prophet and his love and messages of hope. I'm grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It brings me comfort and feelings of security knowing I have a community of people that I can turn to if I need it.

I know things are weird and crazy and not the norm right now, but it's also kind of neat that we're living through such an event. Something that is affecting everyone in the whole world. This is going to be read and taught about in our history going forth. We'll get through this and life will go back to normal eventually, maybe a new normal but it will settle down eventually. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment