Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Everett's Eye Surgery

So earlier this month we took Everett in for eye surgery. He had gotten glasses a few months earlier and we were also told to patch his good eye to help train the weaker eye. After patching and getting used to his glasses, we were definitely noticing an improvement in his eyes - they were crossing less, but his ophthalmologist was pretty certain he would still eventually need eye surgery. They had to loosen a muscle in one eye and tighten a muscle in the other. We were told it was a very simple, easy surgery and he would be in and out in a few hours and be back to his normal self by the next day and that's exactly how it all went. I was still pretty nervous and emotional, but things went pretty normal. He couldn't eat anything in the morning so the night before we made sure he had a good meal the night before and we got ice cream afterwards. We woke up pretty early the next morning, left Claire with grandma, and headed to the hospital.

He seemed so happy and completely unaware at first that something was about to happen. It wasn't until the nurses were trying to get his vitals and put a bracelet on his leg that he got very apprehensive. We had our fun trying to distract him and talk him into letting us change his clothes into the hospital pajamas. The doctors even gave him a new toy motorcycle in an attempt to make him happy, but it wasn't until after he got some drugs in him that he was more cooperative. And then he started getting a little loopy. It was interesting seeing him loopy, but he was happy again.

Then the moment came when they wheeled him away from us. Then we waited. It wasn't too long, but it was still a little nerve racking. The doctors came back and told us they they were finished and a little while later we heard his screams (which was probably one of the worst parts). They finally brought him out to us screaming the whole time and he wouldn't calm down until everything was off of him, the medical tape covering his iv puncture and the bracelet from his ankle. He cried himself to sleep while in my arms, then slept a bit more on the drive home. He stayed awake the rest of the day and then fell asleep on the couch at 5:30 and slept until 6 the next morning. So it all went well and he was back to himself the next day (besides the three times a day we had to put eye drops in his eyes- he hated that part). His eyes were blood red for about a week and it looked a little creepy, but they finally started to fade and are all back to normal now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment