Tuesday, August 31, 2010

back to school

not to brag or anything, but once upon a time, i used to be pretty good at school. back in the day i was a straight-a student, in all the advanced classes, and a general nerd. but that was waaay back in the day. that was before my arch nemesis reared its ugly head - homework. teach me something in class and test me on it next week and i'll do fine. but tell me to go home and not play sports or video games and instead do school work and we have a problem. school-work. home-fun. not home-work.
when homework was introduced into my life, coupled with the emotional roller coaster that is puberty, my success at school began its downfall. i went from a gifted young child to a failing goof ball. i would still test well for the most part, but my grades as a whole suffered. i took a state assessment test in high school one day and just about aced it. my high school counselor called me into his office. in one hand he had my test scores. in the other my failing grades. he was baffled as to why the two were so different. i suppose that is me in a nutshell - an average amount of knowledge but absolutely ignorant when it comes to applying said knowledge. i would not have even graduated high school had it not been for a church youth leader, my football coaches, and of course, my parents, who never gave up on me, even though i had.
it took a two year church mission for me to finally appreciate the blessings of knowledge. i returned home unsure of what to do next, but determined to seek higher education. my sights on schools weren't set too high because i knew i would still be hindered by my high school transcript. i finally enrolled at a small local college, angelo state university. i was determined that i would do my homework, study, and try my hardest. a year and a half later, i transferred up to brigham young university, proudly boasting a 4.0 gpa. unfortunately that 4.0 didn't last long.
byu started well enough. i was so excited to be going to such a prestigious university. but to pay for school, and rent, and food, and gas, and insurance, and all those other luxieries of life, i had to get a job. so i began working nights. i thought it was a perfect situation because i would be able to do all of my homework while at work. it was beautiful at first, but soon life set in. a full-time school schedule, a full-time job, a social life full of way too much drama, and of course, sports, left very little time for sleep. so classes began to be skipped.
i still passed my classes, but my gpa took a hit. the skippings only occurred more often the next semester, and even more the semester after that. finally, mid semester, i gave up on school all together. not wise, i know, but that's kind of the theme of this blog. i always figured i'd go back, as soon as i could get my life simplified. well three years later and life doesn't seem any simpler, but i am finally going back to school.
thanks in large part to my wonderful wife (you can do anything when you know someone believes in you), i reapplied at byu. i thought that there was no way that they would take me back, but for some strange reason they did. the plan this time around is to take school a bit slower. i'm still working full-time, and now i have a wife and newborn baby to keep me busy, and of course, i still have my sports (though much less now that i'm an old man), so i'll only be taking a couple evening classes this time around. sure, i won't be done with school anytime real soon, but i'm at least finally moving in the right direction again.
and don't you dare diss the superman lunch box. :)

2 comments:

  1. good luck scott! I love the lunch box

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are now my hero! I have every intention of going back to school too. someday.....

    ReplyDelete