Wednesday, June 16, 2010

one crazy month, part one

december used to be my favorite of all the months. december brings with it the christmas season, and the only other season that compares to that is football season. christmas just means people are generally in good spirits and happy. and living in texas, december meant a mild to cool temperature, which meant i could wear my hoodies (and i love my hoodies). we even got a bit of snow to stick once or twice a year. but i now find myself in utah, and while i admit the many snowfalls are beautiful, actually going out into it (and especially driving in it) is miserable.
so as my love for december has waned, my love for june has grown. and although this june hasn't started the way i'd like weather-wise (it hailed yesterday - global warming needs to kick in already! more hairspray ladies!), the schedule for this month makes it arguably the best and busiest month of the year. with birthdays, vacations, reunions, road trips, parties, and plain ole good times ahead, june is just hopping. for the first blog of the month (with many more shortly to follow), we start with the celebration of the birth of me. :)
now i must be honest and admit that i find it a little strange to write about my own birthday. i kind of feel as if i'm saying, "hooray! it's my birthday! come and celebrate me!" (which if you really want to celebrate me, cash donations are still being accepted.) but i also felt strange last year when i was writing about amber's birthday. i kind of felt like i was saying, "hooray! look what i did for my wife! aren't i such a wonderful guy?!" (again, cash donations.) well neither sentiment i really wish to express, but these events have to be written about. so we thought we'd switch the writing assignments around this year.
i was at work when the clock struck midnight and the day of my 29th birthday officially began. i headed home later that morning and was treated by my beautiful wife to a wonderful breakfast. she really is the best. she then let me open one of my presents, which i had to find because she had hidden them all around our bedroom. she then tucked me in to bed, made me promise not to look for any more presents, and headed off to work. after i had awaken and amber had returned, my gorgeous girl took me out to dinner to the olive garden, then treated me to a movie.
amber let me open the remaining presents that night, and i must say that my wife spoils me. she got me some football shoulder pads, season five of lost, and a pair of my favorite tennis shoes, among other presents. she really is the best. it was then off to bed, church in the morning, and then a day spent relaxing in the arms of the woman i love.
that night we had family over for some cake (yes, despite the fact that amber does not like it herself, she still makes it for me every year), ice cream, and other goodies. our downstairs neighbors picked a good time to go on vacation - with my six nieces and nephews running around, and the general clumsiness of my brothers ken and kyle, loud noises were definitely made. it was a very enjoyable night of food, games, and conversing.
well i'm a year older. it was only a few years ago that i absolutely hated birthdays. now i find myself where i want to be (a few years later than i wanted to be, but i can't complain). i'm married to the most perfect girl in the world, i've got a little angel on the way, a steady job that i feel good doing, i'm debt free, i'm finally going back to school, i'm still able to play the game i love and do it reasonably well, i've got the best family and friends a man could ask for, and i got a temple down the road and a current recommend in my wallet. what more could a man ask for? happy birthday to me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment