Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Heretic's Daughter

So I realized it's been a long time since I blogged about a book I've read. It's not because I haven't been reading though, I just haven't been reading a lot with everything going on and I haven't read any of the books on our 100 list. Anyway, this last book I just finished was suggested to me by my sister in law. She told me it took place around the same time as the Scarlet Letter, and so not having loved the Scarlet Letter I was a little worried to get into this one. However, I really got into it and enjoyed it. I've always loved historical novels, just how they make history and what really happened seem more real I guess? if that makes sense. I don't know how to explain it, I've never loved the subject of history, but when they put characters with personality into a historical event, it's just so much more interesting. Anyway, the Heretic's Daughter was all about the salem witch trials and it was interesting because it was a true story sort of fictionalized. The author, Kathleen Kent, wrote about her great grandmother and all the stories she had heard and put them together along with her own research about the salem witch trials to make this story. It was really sad to read about the conditions of the prisons that held the 'witches' being put under trial. It also blew my mind how the judges could believe these random girls claims of being pinched or poked by these people they didn't even know. All those accused were trapped. If they said they weren't witches and pled innocent they were hung, if they lied and said they were witches then they were taken to the prison (where the conditions probably killed many) and if they didn't say anything they were tortured. Crazy. Interesting book. :)

2 comments:

  1. so I liked the scarlet letter, so i am expecting to really enjoy the heretic's daughter...thanks for the recommendation, I just requested it from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like historical books. It's really sad about how people treated others, though. My mom and I learned a lot about the "witches" when she took me to Scotland and we went on a night tour during our trip. Maybe I'll read this book that you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete