Saturday, October 24, 2009

grandma bergstrom's 90th birthday

i've never really known my extended family. while most of them come from the great state of california, my family has always called texas home. this has always made us kind of the social outcasts of the group (jealousy is an ugly thing). because of my parents jobs growing up, our vacations were always limited to one day excursions, which always eliminated trips to see family. weddings always meant the visit of an aunt or two for a day, but a real family reunion is a foreign concept to me. so when i heard that everyone was getting together for my grandma's 90th birthday, i made sure that me and amber would be there.

the trip started right after amber's flag football game (which if you haven't heard about, you NEED to read the previous blog!) the game left us in high spirits, but a little drained. we drove with my brother and his family in their 12 passenger van, and i had promised to drive through the night since i'm a night owl anyways. unfortunately the excitement of the trip left me unable to sleep soundly when i needed to, and i quickly started to fade behind the wheel. my wonderful wife saved us all by fighting her own urge to sleep and talked to me throughout the night.

a short ten hour car ride later, we found ourselves passing sacramento. we made a quick stop at my other grandma's ranch and got to see about a million hummingbirds. it was pretty cool. we then continued our journey to the bergstrom family reunion. we met up with my immediate family at our hotel, said hi to everyone, and then quickly crashed in our room for a short nap.

before too long we were up and on with the day's activities. i had to say goodbye to amber as she and the girls went off to san francisco to see wicked. the guys had planned to play some basketball at the church, but a wedding ruined our plans, so we just went back to the hotel and watched some tv. but we now turn to field reporter amber bryson, who brings to us the story of the women and their crazy adventures. amber...

Thank you Scott! So, there were I think 17 of us. It was me and all of Scott's sisters, aunts, cousins, and mom. It was kinda sad grandma didn't make it and a couple cousins, but it was still a good sized group of girls. We took the San Francisco Bart all the way from Dublin/Pleasanton station to the Civic Center station. Riding the Bart was fun besides getting a little motion sickness from sitting backwards. :) We had to get off the train at one point to grab a quick dinner and then back on, which caused a little worry when we lost a couple people in our group. They were found quickly though and we were on our way again. :) We made it to the theater all in one piece and found our seats. I really did love Wicked. It was fun, entertaining, the music and singing was beautiful and I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the fact that I could barely keep my eyes open to watch it, I was just a little tired...:) It really was a good play though, and I'm glad I got to go. The ride home was a long one and the train was a lot more crowded, most of our group had to stand. But again, we all made it back safe and sound. :)

thank you amber. isn't she wonderful? we now turn to ollie williams with the weather. ollie...

it's raining sideways!

sounds rough ollie. do you have an umbrella?

had one!

where is it?

inside out, 2 miles away!

is there anything we can do for you?

bring me some soup!

what kind?

chunky!

thank you ollie. now back to our top news story. amber returned to the hotel very late, and very tired. she had been up all thursday, didn't get more than 30 minutes at any one time all night because she was worried about me, and then was up pretty much all friday with family. my poor wife. :(

well we slept in pretty well saturday, had some breakfast, then watched the texas- oklahoma football game (hook em horns!) after that, we put on our yellow shirts (that was my family's color) and headed to the park for pictures. we found a beautiful spot and took some great pictures. then we had some excitement that i'm not going to get into here, but if you want a good laugh, send me a text. all i'll say is watch out for those frisbee golf players. :) that night we got together at a local pizza place for some good food, good games, and good company. we sang happy birthday to my grandma and celebrated the life of a woman who has raised a pretty good family, if i do say so myself.

we were up early sunday morning and headed off to church. as a surprise for my grandma, every member of the reunion, roughly forty of us, got up and sang 'teach me to walk in the light' as a special musical number. sunday evening found us at cousin brenda's house for dinner and goodbyes. we left the next morning and were home monday night.

although the vacation was way too short, it was very enjoyable. it was nice getting to know all those unknown relatives. i hope we can do it again before grandma hits the century mark.

1 comment:

  1. what a fun trip! (Minus the lack of sleep). Wicked is coming to our city in April and I am so excited to see it! (glad you liked it...I will just plan on getting a good nights sleep the night before;)

    ReplyDelete